top of page

Planning permission & listed buildings


When considering making energy saving or renewable energy improvements to your home it is important to find out whether you need planning permission or listed building consent. You may need planning permission if the proposed works may alter the external appearance of the property in any way, and you may need listed building consent if you live in a listed building. As the owner of the property, it is your responsibility to determine whether you need either of these consents.


Contact Bath & North East Somerset Council Planning Services department to help determine whether you need planning permission or listed building consent. If you do need planning permission or listed building consent, these will need to be in place before any works can start. 

Planning Services 

Bath & North East Somerset Council 


  • Planning queries

  • Listed buildings 

You may be advised that you need to seek preapplication advice to find out more if your query is not straight forward.

Useful resources

Retrofit SPD_2022.PNG

Sustainable Construction and Retrofitting Supplementary Planning Document
Bath & North East Somerset Council published this useful guidance which explains the five most common house types in the area and gives details on 24 energy saving and renewable energy measures including which permissions may be needed for each one. The document also includes diagrams, photographs and sketches. Web version can be accessed here.

External Wall Insulation and planning

In some cases, this measure may require planning permission. Additional guidance and information is available for this measure including guidance on how to make a good planning application for EWI; which materials and finishes may be appropriate; and links to local case studies and their successful planning application documents.


Windows in Listed buildings

Historic windows are an important aspect of the significance and character of a listed building. Where they survive, their replacement would not be recommended for approval through the listed building consent process.

Click here for more information for guidance on windows in listed buildings

bottom of page