top of page

Funding: grants and other financial support


Cost of living crisis

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, you should speak to your energy supplier in the first instance.

You can also contact  B&NES Welfare Support to find out if there is any current financial support for people struggling to pay bills here:

If you live in a Curo home, Curo are offering support to their tenants via this link:

Citizens advice also have a webpage dedicated to energy bills advice here:

You can also refer to our ‘cost of living crisis’ webpages on the Bath and North East Somerset website.

Extra support

Extra support with heating bills and keeping warm

Cold weather payment

Check your eligibility here.

Warm homes discount

You may be eligible for a discount on your electricity bill, check here.

Free advice and support from the Centre for Sustainable Energy

B&NES residents can get support from the Home Energy Team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy, a charity in Bristol that serves the South West region. They offer:

  • Free, impartial advice and support with energy bills, home insulation and heating, income maximisation and lots more.

  • Phone the freephone advice line on 0800 082 2234 or email 



If you want to make energy-saving improvements to your home, you may be able to get some help to cover the costs through grants and other types of funding which may be available.



There are a number of energy-related home improvement grant schemes currently available for Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES) residents on low incomes. Please note that the below list of grants and funding schemes should be used as a guide to the type of funding that may be available at any one time. To help you work out which funding might be appropriate for you and for the latest information, please contact the CSE Home Energy Team on 

0800 082 2234 or email
Bright Green Homes
Apply here

The funding is available through the government's Home Upgrade Grant Scheme and is open to residents living in the B&NES area who also meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Currently on Electric, Oil, LPG or Solid Fuel heating (homes with gas central heating are not eligible)

  • Household income must be below £36,000 per year (unless your postcode is in a specific area – see below*)

  • An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G. You can check yours at 

*Please note if your postcode is in deciles 1,2 or 3 on the Indices of Multiple Deprivation list you do not need to meet the annual household income cap. You can check this here. ​

The funding is to help homeowners and private renters improve the energy efficiency of their homes via a wide range of measures. Residents who are eligible for funding could have a wide range of energy saving measures installed, including insulation, solar panels, heat pumps, glazing and doors. All measures are subject to a satisfactory survey and funding limits.​

Apply here

Read about BANES resident Dan's experience of getting Bright Green Homes funding to improve his home's energy efficiency and reduce his bills.

Connected for Warmth insulation scheme 

  • This is for homeowners and privately rented properties across the UK that have a council tax band between A and D. (If you are unsure of your Council Tax band, you can check here)

  • Measures available include cavity wall insulation and loft insulation, smart heating controls and smaller measures such as draughtproofing and lightbulbs.

Find out more and apply here

LEAP Boiler scheme

  • This is a short term grant often offered in the winter to replace a recently broken gas boiler for homeowners that are in a 'no heat' situation

  • The combined household income must be below £31,000 or

  • Be in receipt of a qualifying benefit and a member of the household will need to be over 65, under 5 or have a qualifying medical condition.

  • The boiler must be no more than 20 years old

Find out more and apply here

Affordable Warmth Grant

This funding is now open again for applications. This is available for residents in the B&NES area who meet the following eligibility criteria: 

  • Household income must be below £30,000 per year

  • An EPC rating of D, E, F or G

  • Owner-occupiers only

Apply here

The affordable warmth grant is a smaller amount of money available to cover measures such as loft and cavity wall insulation and repairs to heating and windows. All measures are subject to a satisfactory survey and funding limits.

Other Funding and support 

Great British Insulation Scheme


This funding is for eligible households across the UK to insulate their homes through a wide range of insulation measures. This is funded through certain energy companies which are obligated by the government to help households reduce their heating bills and energy consumption.

  • The funding will help low-income households, as well as support homes with an EPC rating of D or below and in Council Tax bands A-D. (If you are unsure of your Council Tax band, you can check here)

  • The cost of the insulation measures may be covered in full through the scheme, or you may be expected to make a contribution

  • Measures available include loft insulation, internal and external solid wall insulation, solid floor insulation, underfloor insulation, and more

  • Funding is available to households who haven’t previously received government funding energy efficiency home improvements

Find out more and apply here

Boiler Upgrade Scheme 

This scheme offers eligible homeowners money off the cost and installation of a heat pump or biomass boiler. 

  • To be eligible, homes will need to have a fossil fuel heating system currently in place (such as gas, oil or electric)

  • Properties must have a valid EPC with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.

  • Funding available: £7,500 off the cost and installation of an air source or ground source heat pump; £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler.

The scheme is designed to minimise the amount of work property owners need to do. It is ‘installer-led’, which means your chosen installer will:

  • make a BUS application on your behalf

  • liaise with Ofgem on most matters related to the scheme

  • tell Ofgem when they’ve installed your heating system

  • claim the money from Ofgem at the end of the project

  • The grant value should be deducted from your quote upfront and installers are responsible for passing on the discount that the BUS grant provides to you, the property owner.

For a heating system to be eligible under BUS, it has to be installed by an installer certified by the Microgeneration Certification Service (MCS). You can find an installer in your area on the MCS website. It is recommended you obtain quotes from multiple installers. 

Find out more here


Low-cost loans 


For a low-cost loan at 4.2% for energy-related home improvements see below and contact Lendology direct via their website 


A low-cost Energy Loan can be used to fund solar PV, low carbon heating and other renewable energy installations as well as insulation measures.  It is for owner-occupiers and landlords for B&NES homes.


After obtaining approval from Lendology you can choose your own contractors* to carry out the work who can be paid directly once the completion of work is confirmed.  

An Energy Loan from Lendology can be used to help spread the cost of installing energy-saving improvements over time.  

  • Loans from £500 - £15,000.

  • Repayment term of between 6 months to 15 years. 

  • Fixed interest rate throughout the term of the loan and typical 4.2% APR


*All low carbon heating and PV contractors must be MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) certified 


WE Care Home Improvements

WE Care Home Improvements helps people over 60 and disabled people of all ages in the area. Eligible residents can get extra support with:

  • making a grant, Lendology loan or planning application

  • repairs using their handy person service including

  • small jobs e.g. loft clearance leaking pipes, unblocking gutters, replacing curtains and light bulbs; and larger jobs e.g. dealing with rising damp, heating repairs

  • a loan of plug-in heaters if central heating breaks down


WE Care Home Improvements is a not-for-profit organisation. There may be a charge for some services but it is subsidised by Bath & North East Somerset Council to make them low cost or free in some cases.


Contact WE Care Home Improvements for more information: Phone 0300 323 0700, email  or visit  

bottom of page