top of page

Frequently Asked Questions 


Below are some frequently asked questions which will hopefully help when trying to understand the Grants and and whether you may be eligible.


What measures can I have installed using the Grant Scheme?

Depending on your circumstances, typical measures could include:

  • Roof, wall or floor insulation

  • Glazing and door upgrades

  • Solar Panels

  • Air source heat pump heating system

All measures are subject to a satisfactory survey and funding limits.​


What are the eligibility criteria for the different Grants?


Bright Green Homes Eligibility criteria are as follows:

  • Household income must be below £30,000 per year

  • An EPC rating of D, E, F, G

  • The property must not use mains gas central heating

Council Affordable Warmth Grant eligibility criteria are as follows:

  • Household income must be below £30,000 per year


Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to get a Grant?

If your property does not have an EPC, you can still apply for the grant if you meet all other eligibility criteria. Our team will ask some simply questions about your property to determine if you are eligible.


Does my pension, savings or other income get taken into account when applying for Grant funding?

Yes. The total household income is taken into account (from all individuals living at the property), which would include Pensions and any other income (including rent from lodgers).


I am a landlord. Can I apply for the Bright Green Homes grant?

Yes, provided the tenants meet the eligibility criteria and are willing to engage with the application process. Landlords are required to contribute one third of the total funding available. 


I am a tenant. Can I apply for the Bright Green Homes Grant?

No. The applications would need to be made through the Landlord, and may be made with their consent.


How long does it take to go through the process?

Once you’ve completed the form one of the of the team will be in touch within 2-3 working days. They’ll ask you to complete some forms, provide income evidence and once they’re returned, we’ll begin our eligibility checks. If you are eligible, the process for surveys and subsequent installations is likely to take several months.

If you feeling cold now and looking for something to help more quickly, see the advice here for keeping warm


How do I go about insulating my home?

This will depend on what type of property you have and what insulation your property currently has.

  1. Check to see if your house has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) here. This can help you understand what options you may like to consider.

  2. You can also review our ‘Energy Efficiency, Retrofitting and Sustainable Construction’ document which has lots of useful information to help you determine appropriate measures that can be done to your property type.

  3. You can learn more about the different types of insulation available for different properties here.

  4. We would recommend you have a retrofit assessment carried out by an expert. To do this you can speak to Futureproof who can offer guidance on measures that would be appropriate for your property. Note, there will be a charge for this.

  5. There are also low interest rate loans available for energy efficiency upgrades on your home via Lendology.


How do I find a contractor to do energy efficiency upgrades to my property?

If you are eligible for the Grant funding, our team will manage all the work for you and appoint relevant contractors to carry out the work (with your permission).

If you are funding the works yourself, we recommend speaking to Futureproof who can offer a retrofit assessment on your property and provide access to suitable contractors in the local area.


Who do I speak to if I can't afford to pay my energy bills?

It is important to speak to your energy provider in the first instance.

You can also contact  BANES Welfare Support to find out if there is any current financial support for people struggling to pay bills here:

If you live in a Curo home, Curo are offering support to their tenants via this link:

Citizens advice also have a webpage dedicated to energy bills advice here:

You can also refer to our ‘cost of living crisis’ webpages on the Bath and North East Somerset website.

If you are disabled or over 65 years of age you can get specialist advice to help with managing your heating costs from the Home Energy Team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy, a charity in Bristol. 

How it works:

  • Eligible households can get extra support with energy bills, home insulation and heating, income maximisation and lots more.

  • Contact the Home Energy Team to find out more

  • Phone 0800 082 2234 or email

bottom of page